Tuesday 29 April 2014

From the Nest of Vipers

Thought I'd blow a bit of dust off this blog (you can read my Them Beatles blog here http://tomevans1.blogspot.co.uk/) by reproducing the article I wrote for the 'Sick in the Basin' fanzine which takes a look at my soon to finish time as Thistle programme editor. 

FROM THE NEST OF VIPERS


Over the course of the last few weeks a number of people have asked why, after 20+ years, I have decided to hang up my laptop and retire as Thistle’s programme editor. The answer is quite simple; the return of the Sick in the Basin fanzine. We simply can’t cope with the competition. SitB vendors can even be spotted next to programme sellers. Programme sellers are now busy filing their nails or picking their noses while surrounded by piles of unsold programmes while copies of SitB disappear quicker than a Scottish club’s presence in European competition. .

I jest of course. Sales of the programme have actually increased of late. Read into that what you may. The truth is that it has been a season of some personal turmoil. Keeping things short, my mother was killed in a car accident almost on the very eve of the current season. Perhaps that event has changed my perspective on life in general. I no longer want to be stuck in front of a laptop all the time; I want to reclaim more time for myself. To read more books, listen to more music and guide Aston Villa to the Premiership title in Football Manager.  When editing the programme ceases to be a labour of love and becomes a chore then it is time to pass it onto someone else. It doesn’t, however, signal my involvement with the Club. I hope.

Regular readers may have noticed the very, cough, occasional typo appear within the pages of the programme. Some of my personal highlights include a fantastic ticket offer in the late 90s where you could purchase 2 tickets for the price of 3, a player lying ‘prostate’ on the ground rather than ‘prostrate’ and referring to a fellow, then, First Division team as Airdire United. I blame the printers for the last one, largely because it was their fault. It also prompted a call from Airdire, sorry Airdrie, Chairman Jim Ballantyne claiming that it couldn’t possibly have been a mistake – Airdrie were dire to be fair – and that he would be phoning the SFA with a complaint on the Monday morning. It was a wind up instigated by Allan Cowan but it had me going for longer than it should have.

Not joking was the Thistle fan who threatened to take me to the Press Complaints Commission. Stand up and take a bow Tim Luckhurst. I quoted, and criticised, an article he had written (something about Kafka reading Thistle fans if I recall correctly) and he phoned the club that very evening demanding an apology or face dire consequences as I had no right to reproduce any of the article. Given that it would have been Thistle and not me in bother one, somewhat less than grovelling, apology followed. Ouch. On a more positive note I did rather upset Chick Young.

I could have done without the Thistle fan interrupting me while having a quiet pint, to have a rather aggressive pop at me over the Real Scottish Football programme. More amusing though was the response to a fairly in depth survey the club conducted at the end of one season. One of the questions was ‘how would you improve the programme?’ ‘Sack Hosie’ was one response.  I’m not 100% certain who that was but I have my strong suspicions and I know where I would be pointing the camera lens of suspicion at for that one.

I’ve been fortunate to have received the help and assistance of a large number of people none more than our two excellent photographers Donald Wilson and Tommy Whatshisname (who has been involved with the programme longer than even I have) but this isn’t really the place for a long list of thanks; I’ll save that for the final programme of the season. I’ve had though the pleasure to have worked, if you can use that word, with some excellent people at the club over the years. One of the difficulties in becoming involved with a football club is reading about people you know on forums and, yes, in fanzines and seeing them unfairly vilified. I’ve read many attacks on the characters of directors and managers that I know to be so far removed from the truth as it is possible to be. I’m delighted that I have friendships with people long beyond their direct involvement with Partick Thistle. Goodness, I still occasionally text Jackie McNamara! Meantime the last time I saw Gerry Collins I hid behind a freezer cabinet in Farmfoods in Parkhead.

Favourite managers over the years? Leaving aside their ability as a manager and judging them simply as people then I would have to include Dick Campbell on that list; few people have made me feel part of the club as he did. I’ve huge respect for Ian McCall, the aforementioned Jackie McNamara and Gerry Britton is one the of the funniest people have had the pleasure of spending time with. Get the red wine poured on a club overnight stay and he has a mountain of stories to tell. I wish I could share some here. Pour me some beer in the Star and I might just do that.

Alan Archibald though remains my hero having seen him come through the youth ranks, make his debut under Murdo MacLeod (he definitely isn’t included among my favourites), make over 400 first team appearances, serve on his testimonial committee and see him become Jags boss. The fact that Alan, among others from the club, attended my mother’s funeral service shows the mark of the man and how close knit a family Partick Thistle can be at times.

If I can be permitted to massage my own ego for just a second or two, there have been a few awards for the Thistle programme over the years. All very gratifying but nothing compared to praise, there has been some occasionally, received from fellow Thistle fans. One even raced after me after I left the pub to tell me how much they enjoyed the programme, a gesture that I was extremely touched by. Trying to please at least some of the people at least some of the time can be quite challenging. Size of crowd and corresponding print runs means that it is unlikely, though not impossible, that the Thistle programme will ever be the very best in the country but if Jags fans have enjoyed my efforts over the years then I’m well chuffed. The magazine Programme Monthly, in a short review of this season’s programme, commented that the programme was obviously compiled by someone who cared about the content. I can think of no better epitaph to a 20 year plus labour of love than that. If whoever picks up the reigns has the same approach then the programme will be in safe hands. I look forward to reading their efforts next season.

C’mon The Jags
Tom Hosie

Soon to be ex-programme editor

1 comment:

  1. You should be very proud of your achievements Tom. You put your heart and soul into the programme and deserve to think a bit more about yourself now. And just think of all the lovely Jags fans you have met over the years and invited to the Player of the Year Dance! All the best tp you and Alison and hopefully see you both soon.

    ReplyDelete